Jim Rohn said that. Actually his teacher, Mr. Shoaff, said that. Mr. Shoaff was Jim Rohn’s teacher when Rohn was 25 years old. Rohn has told the story many times about how he left college after a year and went to work. At the age of 25 he had pennies in his pockets, behind on his promises to his young family, behind on his debts and just in all around bad shape.
He met Mr. Shoaff who took a liking to him and offered him a job. Rohn became a millionaire in the next 6 years.
I’m listening to Jim Rohn’s “How to Have Your best Year Ever” audio right now. Today he mentioned this idea that Mr. Shoaff gave to him during that 6 year span. If you want to be wealthy, study wealth.
It’s mind blowing. Such easy advice. But as Rohn puts, it, it’s easy to follow but it’s also easy not to follow. We all have the information right in front of us. Online, at the library, at the bookstore, on podcasts, on audio, YouTube, newsletters. It’s everywhere! All we need to do is take some action and go out and get it!
Another idea that Mr. Rohn presented was, if you want to be happy, study happiness.
Think about that for a second. Have you ever studied how to be happy? With books like “The Happiness Project“, “Better than Before” and “The Happiness Advantage” among many many others, you can find a ton of resources, references, ideas and ways to become happier. Who wouldn’t want to be happier!!
But so many of us are not studying happiness at all. We are just going through the motions, bouncing off of one situation after another one. Never taking the time to master the skills that are available to us to become….happier.
If you are interested, here are few techniques you can use to become happier;
- Meditate. 5-10 minutes a day. Just sit comfortably and focus on your breaths. There are a lot of people that can help you with this. Just google “how to meditate“
- Start a Gratitude journal. Use the “5-Minute Journal” or just start your own. I use a little notebook that my office hands out for free. Try to feel the gratitude as you write things out.
- Give. I read earlier today that when you give your time to help others it actually feels like you doubled your salary. You get the same f
eeling!! We all have some time to give. Be selfish, use your time to help out others and in return you will be helping yourself out.
Do you want some ideas on how to be wealthier? I’m just an amature but here are a few;
- Cut back on what you buy. $2 or $3 lattes won’t add up to much. But drinks and dinners out 3 or 4 times a week will! Start a spending log and see if there are any ways to cut back on what you spend.
- Use that money for personal development. What’s better for you, a few drinks out or a new book about how to make you wealthy? Skip 1 or 2 nights out and instead spend it on something that will actually benefit you!
- “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.” – B. Franklin. Another similar idea to this is the Chinese Proverb, “No one who rises before dawn 360 days a year fails to make his family rich.” Develop good personal development habits like waking up early. Spend the early morning hours reading, exercising, and writing.
That all I’ve got today. Have a great evening.